Hiram Lingle, who promoted development of the area, gave his name to this small agricultural town. It lies
just across the Platte River from the site of the Grattan Massacre of 1854.
In 1936, following five dry years, the federal government's Resettlement Administration resettled 134
drought-stricken families on what was regarded as better land near Lingle. Hundreds of other rural
families in the state needed help, but only those in the most desperate straits were resettled. Assisted
families were furnished dairy cows, beef cattle or sheep, horses, chickens, and pigs in return for promises of
repayment in thirty years. Today Lingle is an irrigated region and is a shipping point for sugar beets, beans,
The 2000 census showed a total
population of 510.